Tuesday, November 22, 2011

KP sounds good to me

After my overnight in Kosovo, I dropped back down to Macedonia for a two night stay in the northeastern city of Kriva Palanka (KP).  I was met by Linda, my Peace Corps volunteer friend living there, who did not bat an eye when I immediately asked to wash my sleeping bag which had unfortunately absorbed some of the oil leaking in the trunk of the van that delivered me to KP.  Besides doing my laundry, Linda also fed me and gave me the last 40 MKD ($1) that I needed for bus fare, so she really did step in as my mom for the weekend. 

Linda and I took a great hike up to the nearby monastery, Sv. Joakim Osogovski.  It's the only monastery that I've been to that had a marker from the Turks protecting it from harm because one of the Ottoman leaders was nursed back to health there.  Linda carried up some food for the monastery cats that she's befriended, almost the extended family of her own friendly cats, Vesna and Vince.  On the way down, a local lady who found out I hailed from Bitola sang Bitola, moj roden kraj with me, one of those moments that are an irreplaceable part of living in Macedonia. 

Sv. Joakim Osogovski Monastery in the background
Column in the foreground is the marker from the Turks
Linda feeding her buddies
Linda and me at the monastery
Playing Quidditch--no seriously, people in Macedonia still use this type of broom
 We also visited the firehouse that was renovated due to Linda's work with the community.  She applied for a grant to do the work and I assisted her with shaping the grant application for the Peace Corps committee that approves the grants.  This is the only grant project I helped with where I got to see the results first-hand and I must say, I was really impressed!  The firemen did the labor, even building cabinets, and it looks fantastic.  They seem pleased with their new digs and there is also meeting space now for local groups.  And rock star that she is, Linda is contemplating another project to help other organizations find adequate buildings for their work. 

Community room before renovations--photo courtesy of Linda
Community room after renovations--photo courtesy of Linda
Brand new kitchen, built from scratch--photo courtesy of Linda
 And then I was off on my own, or so I thought.  Actually, I was pleasantly surprised to find Sarah D., another recent RPCV, on my van to Sofia, Bulgaria.  We chatted the whole way until she headed to the airport and I ventured into the city.  Oh, what a venture.  More on that in the next installment, Bulgaria. 

No comments:

Post a Comment