Monday, November 21, 2011

Finally, the Doughnut Hole!

This summer I toured through the Balkans around Kosovo, affectionately dubbed the Doughnut tour.  Well, I'm happy to report that I finally got to that elusive Munchkin itself.  Kosovo was my first stop on my two month trip celebrating my completion of Peace Corps.  I am now officially an RPCV (Returned Peace Corps Volunteer), though truthfully I still feel like I'll be going back to Bitola any day now.  Finishing Peace Corps, like any government-related task, involves heaps of paperwork and then boom, I'm free!  No more reporting my whereabouts, although perhaps I got too accustomed to this since I seem to be doing so voluntarily on Facebook anyway.  So, back to Kosovo. 

Wonderfully I was able to begin my travels with another newbie RPCV, Mere.  We took the bus to Pristina, Kosovo's capital, only about 3 hours from Skopje.  The city had a vibe quite similar to Albanian-dominated cities in Macedonia so it didn't strike me as particularly exotic but I was glad to go there and complete my education on the former Yugoslavia.  Good Americans that we are, Mere and I asked around until we found the golden idol, i.e. Bill Clinton statue.  Eleven feet tall and up on a pedestal, Clinton is recognized for his help in separating Kosovo from Serbia through NATO air strikes.  Having a statue of such a recent president is a bit much for me to take in but it was a fun stop nevertheless. 

Giving Bill a thumbs up

Mere & me in front of the Newborn sign landmark

While Mere continued on Sarajevo, I spent the night couch surfing with an American named Ben who is teaching at an American school.  I had a fun time hanging out with him and his teacher friends, comparing their classroom stories to ones from my teacher pals in Macedonia.  Other than a small snafu with the key when Mere and I arrived, I had a great first couch surfing experience that carried over into my next surfing stop, Sofia--more on that in my Bulgaria installment.  Up next though, my last weekend in Macedonia.

2 comments:

  1. Katie!

    It makes me so happy to see you left the ball & chain & got back out into the real world just like we dreamed about:)

    m

    Ironically i am in Charlotte these days

    m at fosterm com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, you're alive! Good to hear from you. Bah, no guy can keep me from the road for too long. Hope all's well with you in Charlotte, a nice corner of the world!

    ReplyDelete