Friday, September 30, 2011

Wrap-up & Enjoy

Me as the Apple Fest Princess--Read On...
Things are slooowinnng doowwnnnnnnnn.  The hard and fast reality is that I only have 5 more weeks left in my service, so the name of the game is "wrap-up and enjoy."  In the wrap-up column, I handed off leadership of my baby, the Environmental Committee that I helped establish, and attended my last Volunteer Advisory Committee meeting.  With great relief after straining my brain to estimate how many people I have worked with over my service, I turned in my last activities report to Peace Corps.  And the American Corner asked me to present about my college experience, which was a fun trip down memory lane and I think there are some potential Huskers here. 

As for enjoyment, I took a wonderful hike led by the intrepid Robert, another volunteer living in the southeastern corner of the country who patiently endured all our dental care questions (he's a dentist) on the 9 hour trek.  Check us all out in more of those famous "glamour shots."

Robert, Kerry, me, and Jane at the summit

You don't want to know how I got up there

Pensive pose between Bulgaria and Macedonia (with Greece behind me)

Then I traveled to nearby Resen for its apple festival, which had the cutest kids selling delicious baked goods and lots of musical performances.  And, of course, there were apples--apples to eat, apples on costumes, apple growing awards, all that good stuff.

How can you resist their charm (and the quarter/cookie price)?

Hane (Helene's son visiting from America), Helene, and Michelle (volunteer in Resen)

Trying the goods

Singing group in traditional costumes
Though sadly and strangely, there is no Macedonian version of apple cider.  I think I'll drink a gallon of it next fall, to make up for missing out on that deliciousness for the last couple years.   Increasingly my mind is creeping towards the realization that all my food and drink cravings may soon be satisfied and in anticipation of that, I've started counting calories (awesome online program for this--Lose It) to try and return to my pre-Macedonia weight.  And how soon will I be home?  In 100 days! 

No comments:

Post a Comment