Sunday, August 14, 2011

YMCA Program Fair in Ukraine


Every other year, YMCAs from throughout the Balkans (reminder: I work with YMCA Bitola) gather together for what they call a program fair to share ideas, learn about the many cultures represented, and have fun. Ukraine hosted for the first time this go around, in a nice wooded facility on the outskirts of Kiev. For me, one of the most memorable parts will be the bus trip to and from Kiev, which lasted nearly 48 hours each way (less for me on the way out because I got picked up in Serbia from my vacation). We'd all been expecting a long trip but more in the neighborhood of 24 hours. As it turns out, Ukraine is a really big place and also, never try to transport a rock band's equipment across international borders.

Getting to socialize with the YMCA Bitola members outside our weekly meetings was a terrific benefit of the fair for me; I feel like I know them much better now and vice versa. Meeting folks from other countries and learning about how their YMCAs work was another positive aspect. I also appreciated the effort the Ukrainians expended to share their traditional culture with us, everything from singing to food to art. For instance, I took a class on making the beautiful decorated eggs that regions in and around Ukraine are known for. You can see the process and my egg here, as well as other photos from the week. When I wasn't taking art classes, I helped my Bitola Y produce a daily news bulletin about all the fair happenings. I must admit that the fair was at times frustrating--seemingly nothing started on time, the schedule had quite a bit of repetition and downtime, and so on--but for a first time effort I think it went reasonably well.

On Saturday, we got to go into Kiev itself and I liked it a great deal. The city is aesthetically pleasing, especially the colorful churches and many green parks. In the parks, I must have seen over 20 bridal couples taking wedding photos, it was fantastic. I also visited a fascinating place called Pechersk Lavra or Monastery of the Caves, where mummified saints and monks are wrapped in tapestries and kept in glass coffins in the caves located under the monastery. It was surreal to wander around the dimly lit corridors and watch people praying over the bodies and even kissing the coffins. On a much lighter note, I must add that I appreciated Kiev's abundance of sushi restaurants which provided me with my first avocado roll since Slovenia in May.

The bus ride home was longer but better because 1) we knew what we were getting ourselves into and 2) we took a 4 hour break in Budapest, Hungary. My last visit to Budapest was just over 10 years ago and it was interesting to see how it has evolved. Sad to say perhaps but one highlight was discovering Cherry Coke and ginger ale and buying some to enjoy at my leisure.

With some relief I say that I'm back "home" in Macedonia, rejoicing in having my own bed and bathroom again and digging on all the delicious peaches and watermelon at the market. Also, I believe I've purged my wallet of the 7 currencies that I used during my recent travels. Happily my country count is now up to 42 which begs the question--can I make it to 50 countries before I return stateside?

No comments:

Post a Comment