Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Two Saints, One Day

February 14th is Valentine's Day...or is it? The whole Saint Valentine thing has not really caught on in Macedonia, in part because it is already another holiday, Sveti Trifon, celebrating patron saint of wine growers. Last year I traveled to wine country and went with Macedonian tradition, standing in a city center with a couple hundred other people consuming wine at 9 AM, but this year I opted to stay closer to home for a more Valentine holiday.

At the American Corner, I told a group of 8th graders about Valentine's Day while we played a game and made a poster.
We talked about the candy hearts with messages on them and the kids made their own clever Conversation Hearts.




The Corner also provided apple cake because, I think, it's an American dessert. We Americans tried to explain that it's not traditional for Valentine's Day but they went with it anyway and hey, it was tasty nevertheless.

In addition, I got to play cupid to my sitemate Lauren by delivering a surprise bouquet from her boyfriend in America. He requested my help to get flowers to her and we'd been conspiring over Facebook. Seeing her initial shock and subsequent teary happiness was lovely. I may not have had a Valentine, but it was a sweet day.

No comments:

Post a Comment