Thursday, September 9, 2010

I *heart* hiking


If you get up at 3:15 AM, it should be for something really good. Fortunately I feel like this was the case when on Sunday I got up at that ungodly hour for my second hike with the Pelister Hiking Club. Kaylee and I were surprisingly not sore from the previous day's Ultimate Frisbee (or maybe it was just that 4 AM shot of whiskey from our fellow hikers that dulled the pain) as we piled into the van for the 3 hour drive to the mountain.

Dreading a repeat of the previous day's rainy weather, I was pleased to awake to a day that couldn't have been more perfect for hiking. Kaylee and I teamed up with Pelister hiking club member Igor and a friend of his from Skopje who I will call Tommy (because his name was something that sounded like Tommy but not quite and then I forgot it). Reaching the summit took us 4 hours and about 3 of those were uphill hours. I took 70 photos, in part because the scenery was gorgeous and partly because it was an excuse to rest. A selection of my shots is up on Picasa.

Kaylee and I wore matching T-shirts that say "I *heart* MK" and people got a big kick out of them on the trail. They were also a bit confusing to the Pelister club members because they had trouble telling us apart since we are the same height, similar coloring, both from Colorado, and our names in Macedonian are only one letter different (Кејти vs. Кејли). Okay, so admittedly we knew matching shirts would cause some confusion but it was fun confusion.

2.5 hours later, we were back at the trailhead eating snacks and drinking what seemed like the most delicious Coca Cola ever. Somehow all that exertion yet again barely phased the seasoned club hikers, who drank beer and sang songs the whole van ride home until we returned to Bitola at 10:30 PM. I myself slept most of the drive back, so I guess that I need to keep working on building up my "endurance."

4 comments:

  1. was this the korab hike?

    if so, i'm ashamed that despite living an hour from the mountain, i spent sunday napping & watching "the office."

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we are allowed to hike Korab, then it was Korab...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please tell me that women all over Macedonia are rocking those shirts.

    ps If I ever see a shirt that says "I *Heart* KK" I will proudly own it.

    pps yay hike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually kid, there are women all over Macedonia rocking those shirts but they are mostly Peace Corps volunteers. We sell them as a fundraiser for the annual girls camp, with the girls' help, of course.

    PS Awesome! I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete