Thursday, October 29, 2009

Taking a Bite out of Bitola

The big looming questions ever since I found out that I’d be moving to Macedonia have been where and what I’d do here and now, seven weeks into training, I’ve got some answers—working at the Pelister National Park in Bitola. For those not well versed in Macedonia’s geography, Bitola is in the south about 10 miles from the border with Greece and not too far from some of the country’s large lakes. People I’ve talked to have raved about how beautiful it is and how nice the mountains are, so it sounds like a place that I want to be. The city itself has about 95,000 people and is Macedonia’s second or third largest city, depending on who you ask. There are a few other volunteers in and about Bitola, so luckily I will have some help learning about my new home.

My work assignment is with the Pelister National Park, helping them to implement their management plan. Their website is www.park-pelister.com, if you want to get a feel for my new "office." I get to visit with my new colleagues next week and get my bearings in Bitola, so I’ll have a better sense of things then but my initial sense is that this is a good placement for me. I like that I’ll have both the city and the wilds at my fingertips and working with a national park will be an exciting new challenge!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie! Pelister looks beautiful! I especially love the poll on the park's website "How do you like our WEB? Yes, No, Maby..." I can't wait to hear about your new beginnings in Bitola. Just so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete